Thursday, March 9, 2017

TAKING RESPONSIBILITY

TAKING RESPONSIBILITY

A beloved Amish proverb is our summons to practice personal responsibility and accountability.  It simply says, “Instead of putting others in their place, put yourself in their place.” 

How easy it is to get caught up in the blame game!  Don’t you agree?  But finger-pointing is never a comely, polite, or healthy practice.  My Dad often reminded us: ‘Whenever you point your index finger to condemn others, there are three fingers pointing back at you and one pointing up to God.’

Life experiences teach us that other people are certainly capable of causing pain, pressure, or problems.  But I have a suggested solution, one that might at first seem cynical, but represents a more practical response to the offenses of others.  When you ‘feel’ a certain way about something someone else has done, silently ask yourself this question: “SO WHAT?”  After all, when we net it all out, there are relatively few things others can do that will have a lifelong impact on us – unless WE allow it to be so.  Therefore, any decision to repeatedly rehearse the offenses of others, i.e. to hold tenaciously to anger or unforgiving spirits, is much more detrimental to ourselves than it is to others.

So why not take personal responsibility?  It’s the healthy choice.  Frequently, I pray to our Lord, asking Him to reveal my flaws, errors, inconsistencies, or misconceptions.  This enables me to see MYSELF more clearly and to move on with my life – even when I realize that someone has acted in a way that might be damaging or deceitful.

This choice informs and instructs me.

This choice motivates and mobilizes me.

This choice favors and frees me to continue the marvelous journey which my The Creator has designed – with personal purity, with passionate power and with genuine love.

I am responsible for my own attitudes and actions. As I arrive at challenging moments of decision, I choose to seek understanding peace.  I choose to walk a mile in the shoes of others.  I choose to forgive.  I choose to love. 

Sisters and brothers, be continually blessed, and please (above all else) MAKE SURE YOU ARE READY TO MEET OUR SOON COMING KING.  Maranatha!

No comments:

Post a Comment