Tuesday, March 19, 2019

THE CRACKED POT

THE CRACKED POT

If you think you have no value because of personal imperfections, prayerfully consider this:

There were two pots that served one woman’s need to provide water for her family.  One of the pots had a crack in it while the other pot was perfect and always delivered a full portion of water.  So at the end of the daily return walk from the stream to the house, the cracked pot arrived only half full.  For two years this went on, with the woman bringing home only one-and-a-half pots of water.  Of course, the perfect pot was quite proud of its accomplishments.  But the poor cracked pot was ashamed of its imperfections, and quite miserable that it could only accomplish half of what it had been designed to do.

After two years of what it perceived as total failure, the imperfect pot spoke to its master by the stream.  “I am really ashamed of myself,” that pot admitted sadly, “because this crack in my side causes water to leak out all the way back to your home.”  The old woman simply smiled, “Did you notice that there are flowers on your side of the path, but not on the other pot’s side?  That’s because I have always known about your flaw, so I planted flower seeds on your side of the path, and every day while we walk back, you water them.  For two years I have been able to gather those beautiful flowers to decorate our dinner table.  Without you being just the way you are, we would not have all that wonderful beauty to grace our home.”

Indeed, every one of us has unique flaws.  Perhaps it’s the cracks and flaws we have that make our lives together so interesting and rewarding.  Lesson learned: Look for the good in every person.  To all of my ‘crackpot friends,’ please remember to discover and appreciate the flowers on your side of the pathway.

Should you require biblical confirmation for the foregoing parable, tune in to Paul:

II Corinthians 12:7-10
And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.
For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.
And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness.  Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

While I’m not promoting our human shortcomings, it is absolutely uncanny and awesome how God somehow uses our weaknesses to enhance His Kingdom and extend His glory.  I am gratified that God chooses “the foolish things of the world to confound the wise…and the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty.” (I Corinthians 1:27)  Perhaps, that is why God is able to use someone fallible as ME; and possibly, that is why He can utilize someone who is exactly like YOU.

Sisters and brothers, be continually blessed, and please (above all else) MAKE SURE YOU ARE READY TO MEET OUR SOON COMING KING.  Maranatha!

No comments:

Post a Comment