Sunday, October 27, 2019

HOW TO GATHER HONEY INSTEAD OF BEE STINGS (Part II)

HOW TO GATHER HONEY INSTEAD OF BEE STINGS (Part II)
Moises P. Reconalla blesses us with a tremendous article that speaks so eloquently about the power of our words. I reprinted half of it yesterday. Following is the second half; please read and prayerfully ponder.
When we understand the importance and power of our words, we can use them for good. The Word of God clearly declares, “Death and life are in the power of the tongue.” (Proverbs 18:21, NIV)
James, the disciple of Jesus Christ, adds this: “The tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider that a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. The tongue also is a fire, a word of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole person, sets the whole course of his life on fire, and itself set on fire by hell.” (James 3:5-6, NIV)
The foregoing scripture texts mean that life is controlled by words.
I repeat, life is controlled by words.
Words release authority.
Words determine the course of events.
Words matter.
So what should you and I do about this?
In her book entitled “Ministry of Healing,” Ellen G. White offers a practical answer to this question. “Cultivate the habit of speaking well of others. Dwell upon the good qualities of those with whom you associate, and see as little as possible of their errors and failings.”
She further encourages us, “When tempted to complain of what someone has said or done, praise something in that person’s life or character. Cultivate thankfulness. Praise God for His wonderful love in giving Christ to die for all of us.”
And for those who actually enjoy criticism, she warns, “Evil speaking is a twofold curse, falling more heavily upon the speaker than upon the hearer. He who scatters the seeds of dissension and strife reaps in his own soul the deadly fruits. The very act of looking for evil in others develops evil in those who look. By dwelling upon the faults of others, we are changed into the self-same image.”
She continues, “Instead of criticizing and condemning others, say, ‘I must work out my own salvation.’ If I cooperate with Him who desires to save my soul, I must watch myself diligently. I must become a new creature in Christ. Then, instead of weakening those who are struggling and striving against evil, I am enabled to strengthen with encouraging words.”
She adds, “We are too indifferent in regard to one another. All too often we forget that our fellow laborers are in need of strength and sympathy. Help them by your prayers, and let them know that you are ready and willing to do so.”
James concludes in his writings that, “If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless.” (James 1:26, NIV)
We must remember that no one knows when life is over. Our life is like a vapor that appears for a moment and then disappears! So I encourage you, don't let your life die like an insect’s without doing something good for yourself by doing right by your fellows.
Rebecca Barlow Jordan agrees: “It’s not how much you accomplish in life that really counts, but how much you give to others. It’s not how many goals you reach, but how many lives you touch. Believe in the impossible, hold tight to the incredible, and live each day to its fullest potential. You can make a difference in your world if you are generous with your affirmations and love.”
Sufi Bayazi says this about himself: “I was a revolutionary when I was young, and all my prayer to God was ‘Lord, give me the energy to change the world.”
As I approached middle age and realized that half my life was gone without changing a single soul, I changed my prayer to “Lord, give me the grace to change all those who come into contact with me. If it is just my family and friends, I shall be content.”
Now that I am an old man and my days are numbered, my one prayer is “Lord, give me the grace to change MYSELF. Had I prayed for this right from the start, I would not have wasted my life.”
In the words of the Apostle Paul, “Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable...if anything is excellent or praiseworthy...think about such things.” (Philippians 4:8, NIV)
Thank you, Moises P. Reconalla, for sharing such simple yet profound wisdom with us. If we can discipline ourselves to live in this manner, we will always manage to gather honey, instead of attracting bee stings.
Sisters and brothers, be continually blessed and please (above all else) MAKE SURE YOU ARE READY TO MEET YOUR SOON COMING KING. Maranatha!

No comments:

Post a Comment