Wednesday, December 11, 2019

CONSIDERING WHAT IS MOST IMPORTANT

CONSIDERING WHAT IS MOST IMPORTANT

Last week, while driving alone on the Merritt Parkway, I had a terrifying experience.  Armed with happy thoughts and a carefree mindset, I proceeded northward, absolutely unaware that my health was on the verge of a sudden and radical change.  With no pre-warning symptoms whatsoever, I suddenly became quite dizzy and disoriented, feeling sure that I would pass out before being able to stop my car safely.  While driving in the slow lane, I gradually veered further to the right, unable to control my car.  And there was no room to pull over.  All I could do was to THINK (I’m not sure I said it out-loud), “LORD, HELP ME!”

Thank God that I was able to make it to a nearby exit without harming myself or others.  Thereafter, I was taken to Yale-New Haven Hospital, which was experiencing a tidal wave of persons needing emergency care.  As a result, I stayed in the emergency department for more than two days.  Shall I say “discomfort” and “frustration?”  Well, I’ll try to avoid the temptation to actually verbalize those sentiments.  Oops, I just did!

On a serious note, while in the hospital, I underwent several diagnostic tests, including two MRIs and an echocardiogram.  It seems that I did NOT have a light stroke, as originally thought.  However, my hospital stay opened the door for some very deep spiritual reflection.  I thought a lot about my family, my ministry and my personal relationship with the Lord.  And here is the scripture that the Lord laid upon my heart:

James 4:13-14 (NKJV)
Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, spend a year there, buy and sell, and make a profit” – whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow.  For what is your LIFE?  It is even a VAPOR that appears for a little time and then vanishes away.

Bottom-line: No matter how many funeral services you and I have attended, that casket and that burial plot somehow seem to be for the ‘other’ person.  And even while we experience powerful pains of loss and grief, we typically see our own departure as far off and distant.  ‘He had an accident, but I am careful.’  Or, ‘She had cancer, but that doesn’t run in my family.’  Even as we age, our minds (and our very powerful imaginations) allow us to ‘see’ ourselves as that young girl who once was a track star or that youthful guy who was a gridiron standout.  We age gradually (and hopefully gracefully), but even as our bodies undergo the sure and swift transitions of time, our minds may remain unaffected and unaware of the realities of change.

In December of 2018, my family lost our eldest sister, Wilma.  She was only the second of ten siblings to pass away; Dwight left us more than sixty years ago due to injury and infection.  And none of us can know who will be next.  Consider this: Mortality tables suggest that I, the youngest sibling, might be among the ‘last’ to leave this mortal plain.  However, our departure dates are not determined by any statistical calculus, but by an all-knowing and all-loving Creator.  We can leave here anytime – at all ages and stages.

This sobering fact leads us to a mission critical question: What’s most important?  Surely, it’s not the things we will leave behind.  We’ve never observed U-Haul trucks in the cemetery.  Property and possessions never accompany us into eternity.  And, all too often, they become the seeds of disagreement and disengagement for those we have left behind.  No academic degrees or certificates of earthly commendations will be forwarded into eternity.  Never forget.  Although throughout life we might accomplish more-and-more, those achievements will be remembered less-and-less as cumulative years fade the details and dates of our demise.

So, what is most important?  My dear mother, Mary Watts Bass, loved to sing “Only What You Do For Christ Will Last.”  I can clearly hear her beautiful voice now, and I can see the serious and sincere expression on her face as she offered a timeless reminder of that which will actually endure.  It’s etched indelibly into my heart and spirit: “Only What You Do For Christ Will Last!” 

As such, my personal conclusions about life’s priorities net out to this:  LIFE IS ALL ABOUT RELATIONSHIPS.  Think about it.  RELATIONSHIPS.  That’s why God needed Adam.  That’s why Adam needed God.  That’s why Adam and Eve needed each other and all their future dependents. 

And that’s why we must (at all costs) avoid wasting one more day, one more hour, or one more minute holding tenaciously to adverse experiences, negative thoughts, or unforgiving spirits.  Christ is all.  We hold steadfastly to our faith in Him.  Family is next.  Our love and loyalty to our spouses, children, grandchildren, siblings, etc., shall never by diminished or sidelined by the pursuit of any other thing. 

As a ‘side-bar’ to all my ministry colleagues: God never requires that you subordinate the love and care for your spouse and family to the daily demands of your ministry.  After all, our charity begins at home before it can be authentically spread abroad.

It is a signal honor and a pleasure to love and to serve my family – and all of you, the people of God.

Sisters and brothers, be continually blessed and please (above all else) MAKE SURE YOU ARE READY TO MEET YOUR SOON COMING KING.  Maranatha!

No comments:

Post a Comment