Friday, July 7, 2023

FERRIS WHEEL SYNDROME


FERRIS WHEEL SYNDROME

Let’s face it.  In life, we ought to be always going somewhere because our intended destination is an integral component of actualizing our God-designed destiny.  That’s one reason why I never cared so much for Ferris wheels.  They traverse in wide circles; they move up and down; yet they never travel anywhere.  Their entry and exit points are virtually one and the same.

There is a second reason why Ferris wheels are not my cup of tea.  Although going up is a blast (take-offs are always lots of fun), I loathe that weightless and sinking feeling at the crest of the downward descent.  It takes my breath away and sickens me.  Even now, thinking about it transports me to a rather unpleasant childhood flashback, which is my third reason for disliking Ferris wheels.

At our Monessen Community Picnic, one of my now deceased former classmates, Keith Guzzie, coaxed me into riding along with him.  At first glance, it really didn’t look like something I wanted to do.  That Ferris wheel was dauntingly tall and I was somewhat small.  Also, we were only in the 3rd grade and I had never ridden before.  To my detriment, I was totally transparent about my anxiety, and outwardly filled with trepidation as we sailed rapidly through the air.  Keith loved it; I hated it!  Worse yet, when time came to disembark, we were stuck at the top while the operator slowly released riders below one-by-one.  Keith took one glance at me, smirked mischievously, then started rocking back and forth, as hard as possible, laughing loudly and seeming to relish my apparent fear.  After what seemed like a lifetime, we arrived at the bottom.  With shaky and sweaty palms upraised, I jumped from my seat and vowed never to ride that Ferris wheel again.  It’s a vow I have happily kept.

It occurs to me that our lives are replete with potential Ferris wheel experiences.  One might say that it’s the circular and cyclical nature of the beast.  As Solomon wisely observed, “That which has been is what will be, that which is done is what will be done, and THERE IS NOTHING NEW UNDER THE SUN.” (Ecclesiastes 1:9) 

Actually, some people seem to thrive on CIRCULAR SAMENESS, that is, succumbing to serial failures that spring from our human tendency to tread familiar paths and passages.  It’s the practical reason why Satan needs only three weapons in his arsenal of spiritual warfare. (I John 2:16) Only a relative few tactics are required to bring about spiritual paralysis, since (for most of us) it is not the variety of sin that ensnares us, but the powerful pull of JUST ONE.  I call it FERRIS WHEEL SYNDROME, i.e. our typical tendency to become mired in the repetitious and destructive quagmire of our individual issues.  Indeed, it is the usual, customary and familiar traps that capture our attention and victimize so many. 

I am eternally grateful that GOD (eventually) endowed me with sufficient wisdom, tenacity and courage to dismount those ‘rides’ that are disguised as fun but feel more like folly and fear.  Upon exiting my customized FERRIS WHEEL OF LIFE, I made a heartfelt vow - similar to one I sent heavenward as an 8-year-old boy – “I WON’T BE BACK…NO MORE!”  Thank God for the victory and freedom that resides in THE RIGHT-RIDE-OF-LIFE, which is simply embracing a dedicated relationship with our LOVING AND LIVING LORD.

Sisters and brothers, be continually blessed, and please (above all else) MAKE SURE YOU ARE READY TO MEET OUR SOON COMING KING.  Maranatha!

No comments:

Post a Comment