Friday, April 25, 2014

DON'T BE AFRAID TO GRASP THE NEXT TRAPEZE BAR

DON’T BE AFRAID TO GRASP THE NEXT TRAPEZE BAR

In 1981, when my daughter, Kim, was just 5½ years old, I remember taking her to see the Barnum and Bailey Circus, a.k.a. “The Greatest Show on Earth.”  I had recently enlisted in the U.S. Army and would be absent for an extended period, so I needed to know that Kim understood (as best she could) and would be all right.  What I witnessed at the circus that afternoon is an intriguing metaphor for this journey called life.

Trapeze artists fascinate me.  They literally fly through the air, performing acrobatic somersaults and daring dives, with a degree of confidence that exceeds their dangerous circumstances.  What strikes me most is this: In order to get to the next segment of their performance, they have to let go of their present position of security and literally execute leaps of faith from/to rapidly moving trapeze bars.  The challenge is obvious.  The bar they presently occupy is moving quickly and the bar of their destination is moving quickly, so their maneuver requires split-second timing and nerves of steel.  Moreover, many trapeze artists operate without the safety of a net.  If they miscalculate their location or speed, by even a hair, or the location and speed of the bar that is traveling toward them, they could plunge tragically to their deaths.

It occurs to me that life (and faith) operate in similar fashion.  At times, we are quite literally overwhelmed by pre-occupying thoughts of the next.  Will I make the proper connection?  Will I be o.k.?  Will my family be secure?  What are the trade-offs involved in my decision?  What will be the cost of my failure, or my success?

In the words of the Danish theologian, Soren Kierkegaard, sometimes we must make “an existential leap of faith.”  If we remain on the trapeze bar that we presently occupy, we will likely be safe and secure.  But we will simply go on swinging, back and forth, with no forward movement, no progress, no purpose.

Transitions are tough.  But they knock at the door with strategic traveling companions: purpose and destiny.

If I may be permitted to wax worldly for one moment, let’s consider “The Gambler,” a song popularized by country-western singer, Kenny Rogers.  Success in life is sometimes predicated on the basic wisdom of knowing “when to hold ‘em” and “when to fold ‘em”…being aware enough and courageous enough to “know when to walk away and when to run.”  Of course, I make no suggestion here life is a card game or that you choose to become a quitter.  For, in the words of my high school football coach, Joe Gladys, “Winners never quit, and quitters never win!”

Nevertheless, you may arrive at a point in life where a change of venue is required.  So never be afraid to  make a leap of faith from the trapeze bar you presently occupy, as long as you are confident (with clear confirmation) that it is the perfect will of God.  In my youth, we sang a hymn, “If Jesus goes with me, I’ll go…anywhere.”  Think. 

Do you need more help?  Here it is.  Don’t worry; don’t stress.  Prayer and the Word are your unfailing tools for identifying and grasping that divinely intended trapeze bar, the perfect will of God.  Incidentally, GOD is your safety net.  He’s always got your back.  Sisters and brothers, be continually blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment