Thursday, July 16, 2015

THE PROVIDENCE OF GOD

THE PROVIDENCE OF GOD

Recently, I came across a true story by a Connecticut author, A. Samuel Mattson.  It speaks so simply, yet so eloquently, about the providence of God.  As you read, please be cognizant of the fact that no matter what situation or circumstances we presently occupy, “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.” (Psalm 46:1)

Jobs were hard to find in New York City in 1930.  At the age of 19, I was fresh off the boat from Sweden and didn’t speak any English.

When I boarded the train in my hometown of Karlskrona, Sweden, a woman next to me asked, “Where are you going?”

“To America,” I answered, “to make a new start.”

“My cousin Lars works in New York City,” she informed me, “at the Steinway piano factory.  Look him up when you get there.  She wrote his name on a piece of paper, handed it to me and said, “God be with you.”

It was a sweltering New York day when I set out in search of the factory.  I had no idea where it was.  I wandered the city for hours, showing people that scrap of paper, which bore only four words: Lars Olsen, Steinway Piano.  Nobody was able to help me.

I was very disappointed, and oh so tired.  When I saw a parked car, I opened the door and slid into the back seat.  Back home, anyone could rest in someone else’s wagon or cart.  I hoped the same was true here.

I soon fell asleep, but was jolted awake by the loud blast of a whistle.  Workmen streamed out of a nearby building and one of them yelled at me in English.  What is he so upset about?  I answered instinctively in Swedish that I was sorry.  Amazingly, he responded in Swedish: “What are you doing in my car?”

I explained, then showed him that piece of paper.  The man smiled.  He said the whistle I just heard announced the end of the workday at Steinway & Sons.  Then he walked me around the corner and introduced me to someone who gave me a job as a painter.

By now you’ve probably guessed.  The man who owned the car and the factory was Lars Olsen.

Isn’t God just downright awesome?!?  The reason you and I can lay down at night and rest peacefully and securely is quite simple: GOD IS UP…HANDLING EVERY SINGLE PERSONAL CONCERN…IN WAYS THAT WE CANNOT SEE. (Psalm 121:4)

Trust Him.

Sisters and brothers, be continually blessed, and please (above all else) MAKE SURE YOU ARE READY TO MEET OUR SOON COMING KING.  Maranatha!

No comments:

Post a Comment