Thursday, September 24, 2015

GOD IS BIGGER THAN YOU THINK! (Part III)

GOD IS BIGGER THAN YOU THINK! (Part III)

The story of Joseph (referenced in yesterday’s devotional) is proof positive that we cannot suffer permanent loss or defeat when GOD is on our side.  In a word, whatever life has gotten us INTO, our GOD can get us OUT OF: “And I WILL RESTORE TO YOU the years that the locust has eaten, the cankerworm, and the caterpillar, and the palmerworm…and you shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the Lord your God, that has dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed.” (Joel 2:25-26)

The Prophet Zechariah set forth another example of the Kingdom principle which assures us that OUR GOD is always working (behind the scenes) for our restoration, renewal, favor and blessings.

Zechariah 4:1-4 (NKJV)
1 Now the angel who talked with me came back and wakened me, as a man who is wakened out of his sleep. And he said to me, “What do you see?” So I said, “I am looking, and there is a lampstand of solid gold with a bowl on top of it, and on the stand seven lamps with seven pipes to the seven lamps. Two olive trees are by it, one at the right of the bowl and the other at its left.” So I answered and spoke to the angel who talked with me, saying, “What are these, my lord?”

The situation: In the middle of the Babylonian captivity, this prophetic vision was shared by the Lord’s angel with Zechariah.  During the reign of King Cyrus, approximately 538 years before the birth of Christ, more than 50,000 captured Jews were allowed to return to Jerusalem to rebuild God’s temple.  However, we must be mindful that every open door of ministry is accompanied by significant challenge and opposition.

Let’s take a closer look at the VISION that was revealed to the Prophet Zechariah. 

Question: What did Zechariah see?
Answer: He saw a LAMPSTAND made of gold.  On top of the LAMPSTAND, there was a BOWL.  Connected to the LAMPSTAND were SEVEN PIPES which led directly into SEVEN LAMPS.

This is a powerful revelation, because in the midst of overwhelming trouble, OUR GOD ALWAYS SHOWS UP with revelation and restoration!  In Zechariah’s case, these divine blessings came in the form of a VISION.  The practical application is this: We must obtain a crystal-clear VISION of what GOD is doing in our lives, despite our current situations or our sensory perceptions, which only tend to highlight and magnify our troubles.  King Solomon said it succinctly: “Where there is NO VISION, the people perish.” (Proverbs 29:18)

This is the reason why staying in GOD’S PRESENCE is vitally important for every believer.  Because “IN HIM we LIVE, and MOVE, and have OUR BEING.” (Acts 17:28)  Just as Jesus taught, the quality of one’s spiritual life is determined by a CONSTANT CONNECTION to THE TRUE VINE.  We are nothing, and can do nothing, without HIM!  In fact, ONE WORD FROM HIM will forever change our lives and circumstances!

When I originally read this scripture passage, my first thought was this: ZECHARIAH’S VISION IS INCOMPLETE!  God showed His prophet an unusual device –a divine instrument designed to produce LIGHT and FIRE – a heavenly instrument that would somehow be a blessing to His people.  However, noticeably ABSENT from the vision (at least from my point of view) was one essential thing.  The missing ingredient was FUEL.  Not one drop of OIL was mentioned in the vision, not one!  If I were in Zechariah’s shoes, I might have fallen into complaining: ‘Lord, I see the PIPES that will carry the OIL.  I see the BOWL that will hold the OIL.  I see the LAMPS that will burn the OIL.  I see the LAMPSTANDS that will support the OIL.  But, Lord, WHAT I DO NOT SEE IS ONE SINGLE DROP OF OIL!’

However, my failure to SEE OIL is in no way a reflection on GOD’S ABILITY TO PROVIDE OIL.  The reason why Zechariah’s vision SEEMED SO INCOMPLETE to me is only due to my failure to discern what GOD is up to behind the scenes!  Here’s a clue to ponder.  GOD IS BIGGER THAN YOU THINK!  Stay tuned to learn what GOD was up to in Zechariah’s vision…more to come tomorrow!

Sisters and brothers, be continually blessed, and please (above all else) MAKE SURE YOU ARE READY TO MEET OUR SOON COMING KING.  Maranatha!

No comments:

Post a Comment