Friday, February 19, 2016

YOU DESERVE THE GLORY

YOU DESERVE THE GLORY

All are mortal.  All are fallible.  In truth, no one deserves our ultimate praise, no one other than the One true and living God.

King Canute was the Danish ruler of England.  The members of his court constantly offered him flattery.  “You are the greatest man that has ever lived.  You are the most powerful king of all.  Your highness, there is nothing you cannot do and nothing in this world dares disobey you.”

However, the king was a very wise man and he grew tired of such foolish and empty rhetoric.  One day as he walked alone by the seashore, King Canute decided to teach them all an important lesson.

“So you say I am the greatest man in the world?” he inquired of them.

“Oh king,” they cried out, “there never has been anyone anywhere as mighty as you, and there will never be anyone nearly so great, ever again!”

“And you say all things obey me?” Canute asked.

“Yes sire,” they responded, “the world bows before you and gives you glory and honor.”

“I see,” the king answered.  “In that case, bring my chair and place it down by the shore.”

The servants scrambled to carry Canute’s royal chair quickly over the sands.  At his direction they placed it at the water’s edge.  The King sat down and looked out over the ocean. “I notice the tide is now coming in.  Do you think it will stop if I give the command?”

“Give the order, oh great king, and it will obey,” cried his entourage.

“Sea,” ordered Canute, “I command you to come no farther!  Do not dare touch my feet!”

After a moment, and a wave rushed up the sand and lapped at his feet.

“How dare you!” Canute shouted.  “Ocean, turn back now!  I have ordered you to retreat before me, and now you must obey!  Get back!”

In came another wave lapping at the king’s feet.  Canute remained on his throne all morning, commanding the waves to stop.  Yet they came in anyway, until the seat of the throne was covered with water.

Finally, King Canute turned to his entourage and said, “It seems that I do not have quite as much power as you would have me believe.  Perhaps now you will remember there is only ONE KING who is all-powerful, and it is He who rules over the land and sea.  He alone holds the ocean in the hollow of his hand.  From now on, I suggest you reserve all of your praises for Him!”

Canute was a wise king indeed!  I imagine that he was familiar with John’s vision of everlasting worship before the throne of Almighty God.  “And after these things I heard a great voice of much people in heaven, saying, Alleluia; Salvation, and glory, and honor, and power, unto the Lord our God.” (Revelation 19:1)

This heavenly scene reminds me of a praise chorus written by Eva Lena Hellmark:

You deserve the glory…and the honor…
Lord, we lift our hands in worship
As we praise Your Holy Name.

You deserve the glory…and the honor…
Lord, we lift our hands in worship
As we praise Your Holy Name.

For You are great…
You do miracles so great…
There is no one else like You…
There is no one else like You.

And, in light of that, all I can say is “Amen!  Amen!  Amen!”

Sisters and brothers, be continually blessed, and please (above all else) MAKE SURE YOU ARE READY TO MEET OUR SOON COMING KING. Maranatha!

No comments:

Post a Comment