Sunday, August 25, 2019

POOR YET RICH

POOR YET RICH

Recently, I came across a story by Keyur Shukla, detailing his illuminating experience of visiting a very poor Indian family that really seemed to have everything:

When I was in the final year of graduate studies, I visited a friend’s home for a lunch.  Prior to this, I had no idea where he lived.  I just knew he traveled by bus to and from college.

The moment I reached his building, I noticed that it had not been painted for many years and the staircase leading up to his apartment was in total disrepair.  By every sensory measure, this was a dilapidated and impoverished dwelling.

But one of the greatest things about that day was meeting his loving parents.  We sat on the floor for lunch because they didn’t own a dining table.  Nevertheless, his mother was most hospitable, serving us delicious food and smiling throughout, with a friendly graciousness I shall never forget.

My friend’s father worked as a mechanic and I wondered silently if he earned enough money to support his family.  While we were eating lunch, his father returned home.  When he entered, his hands were blackened with oil; his clothes were soiled and greasy.  My friend did not seem to notice this and greeted his father warmly and made introductions.  How loving this family was – something so rarely seen in our generation.

My friend asked if I wanted to taste papad, a traditional Indian food.  Before I could respond, the mother apologized and said there were no papad in the house.  Then, though he had labored all day, the tired father immediately went out to purchase some papad for us.

As I sat there on the floor that day, I had an unexpected thought about this rather poor family.  Quite  unexpectedly, it occurred to me that this was the richest family I had ever known!

Today, my friend is a team leader at Oracle.  He now lives in a beautiful home, but he regularly sends money home to assist his family and he pays for his younger brother’s education.

I learned two valuable lessons at that memorable lunch years ago.  Firstly, the amount of money we make will not win the hearts of others – the only way to do that is by living with genuine love and kindness. Secondly, the struggles of life only come to make us strong.  If we make up our minds to work our way through them with faith and a smile in our hearts, we will be successful people in the only ways that matter.

Certain moments in life you will always cherish.  Whenever I speak with my friend, I remind him of one of the most remarkable days of my life, the day I had lunch with he and his parents. 

Thanks Mr. Shukla.  You have provided a wise lesson for all of us, one that actually echoes the teachings of Jesus Christ: “Take heed and beware of covetousness, for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of the things he possesses.” (Luke 12:15, NKJV)  In other words, Mr. Shukla, it is possible to be rather poor, yet remarkably rich.

Sisters and brothers, be continually blessed, and please (above all else) MAKE SURE YOU ARE READY TO MEET OUR SOON COMING KING. Maranatha!

No comments:

Post a Comment