Friday, March 22, 2013

THE PRECIOUS LAMB OF GOD



(Friday) 22 March 2013 ~ Daily Devotional of Pastor Wayne M. Bass

THE PRECIOUS LAMB OF GOD

Until Resurrection Sunday, our devotionals will highlight the supreme sacrifice of the Son of God, who died a substitutionary death for our transgressions, thereby freeing us from the power, penalty and practice of sin and endowing us with everlasting life.

Should you ever visit Germany, you must visit an ornate Catholic Church in the town of Werden.  Resting on its rooftop is a beautiful lamb carved out of stone.  Its origin and meaning are quite interesting.  As this church edifice was constructed, a journeyman was working diligently on the roof.  Unexpectedly, his safety belt snapped and he fell forcefully to the ground below.  The area beneath him was filled with large jagged rocks and he should have perished in the fall.  Nevertheless, due to what he acknowledged as divine intervention, an innocent lamb was dining on the sprigs of grass nestled between the rocks.  Instead of the craftsman meeting his demise, he fell directly on top of the lamb.  This worker survived only because the lamb’s body cushioned his fall.  In gratitude and commemoration of how the lamb had saved his life, this skilled artisan sculpted a splendid lamb and mounted it on the church roof for all the world to see. 

Especially during Holy Week (and actually during every week), we celebrate and remember another lamb, the beloved and precious Lamb of God.  Every one of us owes Him heartfelt love and devotion.  Think about it.  If the lamb who saved that German artisan’s life had lifted his face from the grass and spotted that fellow falling, more than likely he would have gotten out of the way.  But the Lamb of God saw our fall and knew that breaking it would cause unspeakable suffering and death.  Yet He willingly laid down His life for us.  How great His love for us!  It calls to mind an inspirational song by Kirk Franklin:

Now behold the Lamb, the Precious Lamb of God;
Born into sin that I may live again, the Precious Lamb of God.

Holy is the Lamb, the Precious Lamb of God;
Why You love me so, Lord, I shall never know, the Precious Lamb of God.

When I didn’t always do right, I went left when You told me go right;
But I’m standing right here in the midst of my tears,
Lord, I claim You to be the Lamb of God.

Thank You for the Lamb, the Precious Lamb of God; 
Because of Your grace I can finish this race, the Precious Lamb of God.

New life can now begin, for You washed away all of my sins;
Whom the Son sets free, is truly free indeed,
Lord, I claim You to be the Lamb of God.

Now behold the Lamb, the Precious Lamb of God;
Born into sin that I may live again, the Precious Lamb of God.

Why You love me so, Lord, I shall never know…the Precious Lamb of God!

My sisters and brothers, on this day (and every day), we exalt and extol “the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!” (John 1:29, NIV)  Thank You, Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment