Friday, May 31, 2013

LIFE'S BOTTOM-LINE



LIFE’S BOTTOM-LINE

Carefully consider the following prayer from an anonymous believer:

I asked God to take away my habit.
God said, “No.  It is not for me to take away, but for you to give it up.”

I asked God to make my handicapped child whole.
God said, “No.  His spirit is whole; his body is only temporary.”

I asked God to grant me patience.
God said, “No.  Patience is a byproduct of tribulation; it isn’t granted, it is learned.”

I asked God to give me happiness.
God said, “No.  I grant you blessings; happiness is up to you.”

I asked God to spare me pain.
God said, “No.  Suffering draws you apart from worldly cares and brings you closer to Me.”

I asked God to make my spirit grow.
God said, “No.  You must grow on your own, but I will prune you to make you fruitful.”

I asked God for all things that I might enjoy life.
God said, “No.  I will give you life, so that you may enjoy all things.”

I asked God to help me LOVE others, as much as HE loves me.
God said, “Ah, finally you’ve got the right idea!”

Sisters and brothers, the simplest truth that lies at the core of the complex reality we call life is the miraculous and transformative power of love.  When we love others as we love ourselves, we actually embrace and actively emulate the image of God, in which we were created, and by which we ultimately prosper.

Love considers.  Love gives.  Love serves.  Love strengthens.  Love shields.  Love nurtures.  Love believes.  Love empowers.  Love guides.  Love warns.  Love obeys.  Love forgives.  Love understands.  Love empathizes.  Love encourages.  Love shapes attitudes.  Love informs decisions and inspires actions.  Love endures.

Our daily walk with God leads us steadily in the direction of love…for GOD IS LOVE. (I John 4:8)  Therefore, love is both the means and method of our maturation and our mission.  For in love, “we live, and move, and have our being.” (Acts 17:28)  As we quest toward perfect love, we remember the words of the Apostle Paul, “But for right now, until that completeness, we have three things to lead us toward that consummation: Trust steadily in God, hope unswervingly, love extravagantly.  And the best of the three is love.” (I Corinthians 13:13, The Message Bible)

Love extravagantly” is a divine and delightful admonition.  It means we must love beyond measurement, without manipulation, and with little expectation of reciprocity from others.  Indeed, it is challenging and it requires our utmost diligence and patience, but let’s just do it.  Let’s love others to life!

No comments:

Post a Comment