Monday, February 3, 2014

A PLEA FOR UNITY

A PLEA FOR UNITY

This past Saturday, I witnessed something on Facebook that was profoundly disturbing.  It was a heated debate (among Christians) over the doctrine of water baptism.  The person who initiated the discussion set forth the position that all believers MUST be baptized “in the name of Jesus.”  As the old saying goes, ‘Everyone is entitled to their opinion,’ so I did not judge his personal convictions.

Nevertheless, it alarmed me when he became increasingly and extremely aggressive, suggesting that anyone who did not believe in (and comply with) that particular mode of water baptism would be LOST, eternally.

The Great Commission was mentioned by different people (Matthew 28:19-20), in which Jesus cites an instruction for evangelism and water baptism which does not necessarily dovetail with the views of the discussion leader.  His response was rather shocking.  He went on to say that “in the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established” (II Corinthians 13:1), and since the method described (by JESUS) was only mentioned one time, in contrast with the method described by certain apostles that (in his view) was mentioned multiple times, the Matthew 28: 19-20 method is inherently invalid.  I’m sure this must be an old argument, but it was my first time hearing that the apostles’ words trumped those of THE LIVING WORD!

What I took very strong exception to was this man’s contention that all who were baptized “in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost” would be judged unrighteous and ultimately condemned to hell.  In the process, I communicated my belief (my certainty) that this man would NOT be lost because he has a different perspective and application of water baptism.  God is the ultimate judge of all of us, not me.  I will refrain from detailing the rest of the dialogue because it morphed into something that was rather ridiculous and shameful.  Admittedly, I am equally at fault for my own participation in this ill-advised discourse.

Here is my point.  I have been a Christian long enough to know that there are certain doctrinal points on which sincere Christians may never agree, until the return of the Savior.  JESUS CHRIST will have to set all of us in order regarding many things; of that we can be sure.  “For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.” (I Corinthians 13:12)  However, while we exhaust ourselves (and our observers) arguing over doctrinal matters, the world is perishing.  And, without Christ, they are certainly liable for the coming condemnation of sin and its willful practitioners, i.e. those who refuse to believe and receive the atoning grace of Jesus Christ.

In no way am I implying that water baptism is unimportant.  And please know that I am not out to promote any specific mode of water baptism – so please, please, do not travel down that trail of debate.  Neither am I promoting a lifeless, inert, ecumenical view of faith; my personal convictions are strong and biblically-based.  However, I am stating (as emphatically as possible) that our emphasis on intra-body debate and our propensity for division and strife is causing the central message of the gospel to be diluted and obscured.  In the sage words of the world’s most effective evangelist, The Apostle Paul, “If our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost.” (II Corinthians 4:3) 

So prayerfully consider the following scriptural passage (also the writing of Paul), which is a sincere plea for unity within the Body of Christ:

I Corinthians 1:10-17
10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.
11 For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.
12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?
14 I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius;
15 Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name.
16 And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other.
17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

Finally, and most importantly, our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ (in His High Priestly Prayer), petitioned the Father for an endowment of the all important element of UNITY within the Body:

John 17:17-23
17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.
18 As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world.
19 And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth.
20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;
21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:
23 I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

People of God, let’s refuse to major on minors; let’s major on majors.  Whether you personally agree with my analysis, or not, I am sure you will attest that unity is essential and indispensable, if indeed we are to win a hurting and dying world to Jesus Christ.  Let us unite, sisters and brothers, and we will be continually blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment