Tuesday, January 10, 2017

IF I WAS ONLY ME

IF I WAS ONLY ME

Some time ago, I encountered a perfect stranger at the mall.  He walked up and enthusiastically greeted me as if we were lifelong friends.  My first thought was “What is he selling?”  Nevertheless, because his candor and intellect intrigued me, and since I had no pressing engagements, we conversed for quite some time.  This young man, likely in his late-twenties, rattled on and on, sharing personal insights and opinions on politics and religion, family and friends, failures and successes, a very wide array of life experiences.

One memorable remark caught my attention.  He casually referred to himself as “Chameleon Man.”  When I asked why, he responded “I have the uncanny ability to change myself completely, to totally adapt to any situation.  In fact, I can BE anybody…so I AM everybody!”

I paused to reflect and then countered, “That’s an interesting point of view.  However, since you change so significantly and so often, do YOU ever get lost in the sauce – carried away by your own extensive repertoire of emotional disguises?”  He laughed loudly.  “That’s clever!” he replied with much more volume than the environment warranted.  “Come to think of it,” he continued, “YES, there are times when I’m not sure WHO I am.”  We talked a while longer; I prayed with him and then invited him to church.

During my drive home, I contemplated our unusual discourse and came to the realization that there are multiplied millions who could honestly self-identify as “Chameleon Man” or “Chameleon Woman,” as the case may be.  Indeed, most of us try a bit too hard to fit in a neat and politically correct way with the masses.  Let’s be clear.  I’m not advocating for anyone to adopt a rebellious or contentious spirit.  But it’s apparent that so many do not embrace our God-created distinctives AND DIRECTIVES due to some vague notion or need for conformity and an overwhelming societal pressure to FIT IN.

This mindset is synonymous with FEAR.  It deprives us of uniqueness and erodes our self-esteem, while producing a herd-mentality which I call “GROUP THINK.”

Now hear this!  GOD FORMED YOU FOR HIS PLEASURE AND THEN THREW AWAY THE MOLD.  There’s nobody else exactly like you.  Consider this.  Fashion dictates conformity to this season’s colors, fabrics and styles.  YOU are infinitely more than that, so stay out of the superficial lane when it comes down to identifying and actualizing your God-ordained reasons for being alive and present on the planet.

Hey YOU…show up!  HUMAN LIFE, from Heaven’s perspective, is a CHAMELEON-FREE ZONE!

Why?  Firstly, God’s foundational requirement is that He be glorified by YOU.  Secondly, sitting on your rocker in the twilight of your years, you never want to languish in regret, looking back and thinking “IF I WAS ONLY ME”…

Notwithstanding the fact that you must always maintain and maximize CHRIST-IN-YOU, who is “the hope of glory,” you must recognize and remember that you are an entirely unique masterpiece of YOUR Creator.  (Colossians 1:27 – Ephesians 1:18) Your short-term goal must be to identify your particular calling and mission in the earth realm.  Your long-term goal must be to DEVELOP and DEPLOY it…until your Creator smiles (in time) and (in eternity) says “Well done.” (Matthew 25:21)

Sisters and brothers, be continually blessed, and please (above all else) MAKE SURE YOU ARE READY TO MEET OUR SOON COMING KING.  Maranatha!

No comments:

Post a Comment