Wednesday, November 8, 2017

THOSE WHO ARE CHOSEN BY GOD

THOSE WHO ARE CHOSEN BY GOD

One of the toughest tasks any church faces is choosing the right minister.  One member of the Pastoral Search Committee finally lost patience during their protracted and painful process.  He had witnessed committee members rejecting applicant after applicant for minor faults – both real and imagined.  It was now time for a bit of committee soul-searching, so he stood and read the following applicant letter.

Dear People of God:

Understanding that your pulpit is vacant, I should like to apply for the position.  I have many qualifications.  I’ve been a preacher with some success and many suggest that I am an accomplished author.  Also, it is reported that I am a good organizer since I have been a leader in various places.

I’m over 50 years of age and have never preached in one place for more than three years.  In some places, I left town after my preaching caused riots and disturbances.  I must confess that I have been in jail three or four times, but not because of any real wrong doing.

My health is not too good either, though I can still accomplish a lot.  The churches I have preached in have been relatively small, although located in large cities.

To be quite candid, I’ve not gotten along too well with religious leaders in the towns where I have preached.  In fact, some have threatened or even attacked me physically. 

However, if you would consider using me, I promise to do my very best.

After the letter had been read, the board member turned to the committee and said, “What do you think?  Shall we select him?”

Those good church folks were appalled!  A few laughed out-loud.  Should they consider this sickly, trouble- making, absent-minded, ex-jailbird?   Had this board member lost his mind?  Whose signature was on the application?  Who had such colossal nerve to apply as pastor with such an awful record?  The board member eyed them all keenly before he replied” “It’s signed, The Apostle Paul.”

Interestingly enough, there is a scripture that is quite applicable to this situation:

I Corinthians 1:27-29
But GOD has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and GOD has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty; and the base things of the world and the things which are despised GOD has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are, that no flesh should glory in His presence.

The first line of the foregoing scripture contains the word, “foolish.”  In the original Greek, the word for “foolish” is “moros.”  The best English rendition of that Greek word is “moron.”  Think.  We should never be self-righteous or ‘trip’ over our own egos.  It may well be that when God first called us, that we were standing in the moron line.  Nevertheless, our first estate is no problem for Almighty God, who gains greater credibility and glory by raising up ‘rejects.’  Before you start looking down on anyone, prayerfully consider that simple truth.

Sisters and brothers, be continually blessed, and please (above all else) MAKE SURE YOU ARE READY TO MEET OUR SOON COMING KING.  Maranatha!

No comments:

Post a Comment