Sunday, February 4, 2018

THE TERRIBLE TWO'S

THE TERRIBLE TWO’S

Belinda and I have a granddaughter whom we love dearly.  Her name is Savannah and we affectionately recall the time when she was two years old.  Unlike most of our grandchildren, she was relatively slow in developing her ability to communicate verbally.  HOWEVER, once she DID…Savannah immediately became large-and-in-charge in every room she entered.  I repeat: We love her very much and would take nothing in exchange for her place in our family and in our hearts.  But Savannah was caught in the throes of what pseudo-psychologists (like myself) call “the terrible two’s.”  She was peevishly insistent on having her way with all of us, including with her two siblings, Sydney and Dylan.  Of course, her noisy petulance did not play out very well with them.

One memorable evening, when Savannah activated that typical agenda of ‘having everything her way,’ I started processing her behavior from a different perspective, with more insight and revelation.  Savannah was much like, indeed JUST LIKE, some members of the institutional church.  After hearing her elders’ words, she systematically selected which directives she wished to follow.  In that early stage of emotional development, she was completely self-willed and self-absorbed.  It was ALL about her wishes and needs.

Nevertheless, in the middle of the above referenced temper tantrum, something quite marvelous occurred.  Belinda picked up Savannah, cradled her gently and whispered softly in her ear, “I love you sweetie.”  Soon Savannah quieted herself and nestled in her grandmother’s compassionate and caring arms.  What a life lesson for me!  Wow!

Right away, I recalled an earlier devotional I had written and an insightful comment I later received from a spiritually discerning reader.  While someone’s doctrinal tirade over water baptism (that I had described and discussed) felt rather unkind and unwarranted, perhaps my personal reaction was also wrong.  A pastor from South Africa wisely suggested that we PRAY for those who exhibit behaviors that seem aggressive or divisive to us.  His words convicted me.  “The differences will always be there,” he said, “but I pray they never cloud fellowship and the gospel.”  Profound wisdom.  Instead of becoming angry or lashing back, I (we) should prayerfully seek to understand the speaker and to adjust our own attitude(s) toward them and their issues.

The Apostle Paul advised the Church of Galatia accordingly:
“Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness, CONSIDERING YOURSELF lest you also be tempted.  Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.” (Galatians 6:1-2).

Belinda had clearly modeled the way forward for our family.  Even though our beloved Savannah was ensconced in “the terrible two’s,” we all genuinely love her, without reservations or conditions.  Her siblings, Dylan and Sydney, were far too young to comprehend the emotional nuances that undergird their baby sister’s behavior.  Nevertheless, I do not wish to model their (understandable) immaturity in my own dealings with persons who strike me as unkind or contentious. Rather, I resolve to purposefully emulate my wonderful wife’s wisdom and compassion.  So, the next time I interact with someone who seems strident or difficult, I will respond with a radical difference – with much more compassion, with intercessory prayer and with a conscious awareness of my own faults and shortcomings.  Who knows?  That person just might be experiencing a spiritual version of “the terrible two’s,” and they could be in dire need of having a ‘loving adult’ present in the room.  

Sisters and brothers, be continually blessed, and please (above all else) MAKE SURE YOU ARE READY TO MEET OUR SOON COMING KING. Maranatha!

No comments:

Post a Comment