Wednesday, December 26, 2018

MY POSITION, MY CONDITION, MY OBSESSION


MY POSITION, MY CONDITION, MY OBSESSION

I treasure the ministry wisdom of the late Reverend Dr. E. V. Hill.  In one of his classic sermons, he issued this profound declaration of truth: “My POSITION is that I’m IN CHRIST.  My CONDITION is that sometimes I FAIL.  But my OBSESSION is to make my CONDITION the same as my POSITION.” 

I am confident that most Christians may easily relate to Dr. Hill’s life experience and perspective.  Certainly, the Word declares that we believers are “in Christ.” (II Corinthians 5:17) Thus, through the miracle of the new birth, we become God’s renewed creations and spiritual workmanship. (Ephesians 2:10) To wit, in Dr. Hill’s words, “My POSITION is that I’m IN CHRIST.”

However, since we exist in the form of frail, fallen and finite humanity, we are subject to both the original and occasional departure(s) from the perfect will of God.  In a word, “all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God.” (Romans 3:23) Hence, our human CONDITION precipitates an ongoing failure to fully comply with God’s Will and Word.  As Dr. Hill so succinctly stated it: “Sometimes I fail.”

Nevertheless, true believers refuse to become paralyzed at that point, i.e. we will not be subject permanently to the sinful nature of our flesh.  Rather, we strive and make every attempt to “grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior.” (II Peter 3:18) So instead of accepting bondage to our old sinful nature, we are totally committed to the process of SANCTIFICATION, which produces continual spiritual growth and liberation from the power, practice and penalty of sin. (Romans 6-8 – I Corinthians 1:30 – I Thessalonians 4:3-4 – Ephesians 5:25-27 – John 17:17) Thus, Dr. Hill’s conclusion sums up our spiritual intention and goal: “My OBSESSION is to make my CONDITION the same as my POSITION.”

My friend, have you become comfortable with a state of continual domination and/or defeat by the devil?  In other words, do you have the tendency to excuse ungodly attitudes and actions as the inevitable weakness of the flesh?  Or, on the other hand, have you received, recognized and deployed the indwelling power of the Holy Spirit?  The Apostle Paul states it far more succinctly and eloquently than I:

But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellence of the power may be of God and not of us. (II Corinthians 4:7, New King James Version)

But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. (II Corinthians 4:7, New International Version)

But we have this precious treasure [the good news about salvation] in [unworthy] earthen vessels [of human frailty], so that the grandeur and surpassing greatness of the power will be [shown to be] from God [His sufficiency] and not from ourselves. (II Corinthians 4:7, The Amplified Bible)

After all is said and done, it’s not about our ability, nor our capacity to cling to the right path and honor the Word of God.  It’s all about JESUS CHRIST!  Indeed, it’s all about “CHRIST IN YOU, the hope of glory.” (Colossians 1:27b, NKJV) Paul sums it up this way: “I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST, who strengthens me.” (Philippians 4:13, NKJV) Amen?  Amen!

Sisters and brothers, be continually blessed, and please (above all else) MAKE SURE YOU ARE READY TO MEET OUR SOON COMING KING. Maranatha!

No comments:

Post a Comment