Wednesday, April 29, 2020

INVESTING IN OTHERS

INVESTING IN OTHERS

On this side of eternity, we have no way of knowing the profound impact of our selfless gifts to others.

Geraldine Brooks won the 2006 Pulitzer Prize for fiction as the result of her novel, “March.”  Her love for books had been nurtured by a woman named Althea Glasby, a friend of her grandfather.  Geraldine’s grandfather had casually mentioned to Miss Glasby that his little granddaughter loved to read.  From that day forward, parcels arrived for Geraldine on her birthday and at Christmas time.  Each parcel contained an expensively bound, lavishly illustrated edition of a book that had been carefully selected for Geraldine.  Inscribed in the front cover of each, in flowing script, were these words, “To Geraldine, with love from Althea Glasby.”

Geraldine Brooks never met Althea Glasby and she really had no idea what inspired this woman to start sending her books.  This is what Geraldine had to say, “I have no idea why this woman spent so much time and thought on a child she didn’t know.  Whatever the reason, I wish I could thank her in person.  I wish I could tell her how those books shored up a love for the written word that grew over time into a career and a calling.  I would like to give her one of the books I’ve written in a hardback first edition.  The signature wouldn’t be as fine and fluid as hers, but in my own pedestrian scrawl I would say thank you for the gifts that helped to lead me to a life in books.”

What an awesome tribute to an generous benefactor!

With your permission, I would like to share a related personal story.  There are two people who served as generous movers-and-shakers in the formation of my writing craft..  The first is my high school English teacher, Judy Paglia, who first encouraged and honed my written compositions.  Hers was a gentle and creative voice that offered early inspiration.  The second was one of my Yale history professors, Toby Symington.  He critiqued my submissions in great detail and even offered to spend one-on-one time to tutor and polish my writing craft.  I took him up on that extraordinary offer, and he spent many hours tutoring me, one-on-one.

Thank you, Mrs. Paglia.  Thank you, Professor Symington.  Your personal investments resonate in time and eternity. 

My friend, who will you choose to assist or mentor with your God-given gifts?

Sisters and brothers, be continually blessed, and please (above all else) MAKE SURE YOU ARE READY TO MEET OUR SOON COMING KING. Maranatha!

No comments:

Post a Comment