Wednesday, January 12, 2022

THE EASE OF DISCIPLINE

THE EASE OF DISCIPLINE

 In life, there’s a tendency to seek the path of least resistance.  It’s rather familiar to most of us.  In contrast to customary human habits, world-class athletes achieve excellence in the wake of daily, difficult, rigorous, yet rewarding, discipline. 

 I have a vivid childhood memory of entering the neighborhood convenience store on Schoonmaker Avenue owned by Mr. Popadopoulis.  In my strange blend of jest and seriousness, I inquired of the aged proprietor: “Do you have any samples today?”  His response imparted a valuable life lesson.  “Nothing for nothing!” Mr. Pop opined with characteristic gruffness.  I definitely knew better, and feeling relieved that Mama and Daddy had not observed my ‘madness,’ I made a hasty retreat.

 Today, I realize that discipline is a learned and priceless commodity.  One manifestation of discipline for true believers is honest and objective self-evaluation.  John Newton, the composer of “Amazing Grace,” frames it this way: “When people are right with God, they are apt to be hard on themselves and easy on other people.  But when they are not right with God, they are easy on themselves and hard on others.”  The discipline of truth is an integral part of a genuine faith covenant.  While we must avoid becoming paralyzed by harsh or excessive introspection, we must be ready, willing and able to objectively ‘see’ ourselves.  It is our indispensable spiritual discipline.

 In his book, “The Road Less Traveled,” M. Scott Peck relates his youthful encounter with discipline: “I spent much of my ninth summer on a bicycle.  One mile from our house the road went down a steep hill and turned sharply at the bottom.  Coasting down the hill one morning, I felt my gathering speed to be extremely ecstatic.  To give up this ecstasy by applying brakes seemed to be an absurd self-punishment.  So I resolved to simultaneously retain my speed and negotiate the corner.  My ecstasy ended seconds later when I was propelled a dozen feet off the road into the woods.  I was badly scratched and bleeding, and the front wheel of my bike was twisted beyond use from its impact against a tree.  I had been unwilling to suffer the pain of giving up ecstatic speed in the interest of maintaining balance around the corner.  However, I learned that the loss of balance is ultimately more painful than the giving up required to maintain balance.  It is a lesson I have continually relearned.  As we negotiate the curves and corners of our lives, we must continually give up parts of ourselves.”

 Discipline doesn’t necessarily feel familiar or comfortable, but it results in a healthy life perspective that yields consistent progress and eventual ease.

 Sisters and brothers, be continually blessed, and please (above all else) MAKE SURE YOU ARE READY TO MEET OUR SOON COMING KING. Maranatha!

No comments:

Post a Comment