Wednesday, November 23, 2022

THE ORIGIN AND SIGNIFICANCE OF THANKSGIVING DAY


THE ORIGIN AND SIGNIFICANCE OF THANKSGIVING DAY

Today we celebrate Thanksgiving Day in the USA.  As a former history teacher and an insatiable history buff, I thought it fitting to reprise the history of this important day in American culture.

The event that we commonly call ‘The First Thanksgiving’ was celebrated by the Pilgrims following their first American harvest in the year 1621.  According to one of the attendees, Edward Winslow, this feast lasted three full days and was attended by 53 Pilgrims and 91 Native Americans.

The Pilgrims had departed from Plymouth, England, on September 6, 1620, seeking civil and religious liberty in a place they called ‘The New World.’  Although it was indeed ‘new’ to them, this land was already occupied by Native Americans.  For two months, 102 passengers on The Mayflower braved the harsh elements of the northern Atlantic Ocean.  Arriving in late November at the place they named Plymouth Rock, Massachusetts, the Pilgrims signed “The Mayflower Compact” (America’s first document of civil government) and disembarked their ship in early December.

After a prayer service, the Pilgrims began building hasty shelters.  However, they were grossly unprepared for the starvation and sickness that beset them during the harsh New England winter.  As a result, nearly half of their numbers died before the advent of spring.  Nevertheless, persevering in prayer and assisted by very helpful Native Americans, they reaped a bountiful harvest the following autumn.

The grateful Pilgrims declared a three-day feast, starting on December 13, 1621, to give thanks to God and to celebrate with their native friends.  Technically speaking, this was not the first Thanksgiving in America, since Thanksgiving services were held in Virginia as early as 1607, but it was America’s first Thanksgiving festival. 

Edward Winslow described the Pilgrims’ inaugural Thanksgiving with these words: “Our harvest being gotten in, our Governor sent four men fowling [bird hunting] so we might rejoice together after we had gathered the fruit of our labors.  These four killed in one day as much fowl as served the company almost a week.  Many of the Indians came amongst us, including their King Massasoit and ninety men, whom for three days we entertained and feasted; and they went out and killed five deer, which they brought to us.  Although it be not always so plentiful as it was at that time…yet by the goodness of God we are far from want.”

In 1789, following a proclamation issued by President George Washington, the fledgling American nation celebrated its first official Day of Thanksgiving to God under its new Constitution.  And the Protestant Episcopal Church, of which President Washington was a member, announced that the first Thursday in November would become a regular day for the giving of th

However, Thanksgiving was first celebrated as a federal holiday in 1863, when President Abraham Lincoln proclaimed a national day of “Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens,” which would be celebrated annually on the last Thursday in November.

My friend, that is THE HISTORY of Thanksgiving Day. What is YOUR STORY for giving thanks to our God?

Roy Campanella had an amazing story of thanksgiving.  He was one of the first African-Americans to play in baseball’s major leagues.  In his storied athletic career, Roy won the Brooklyn Dodgers’ Most Valuable Player Award numerous times, and in 1955 made a very significant contribution toward his team’s victory in the World Series.

However, in January of 1958, his career was tragically cut short when a car crash left him a quadriplegic.  After he was injured, Roy spent a lot of time in The Institute of Physical medicine and Rehabilitation in New York.  One day he paused to read an inspirational inscription in the entryway.  For someone who had been blessed with phenomenal athletic gifts, but was now a quadriplegic, these words resonated deeply:

 

I asked God for strength, that I might achieve…
I was made weak, that I might learn to humbly obey.
I asked for health that I might do great things…
I was given infirmity that I might do better things.
I asked for riches that I might be happy…
I was given poverty that I might be wise.
I asked for power, that I might have the praise of others…
I was given weakness that I might feel the need of God.
I asked for all things, that I might enjoy life…
I was given life that I might enjoy all things.
I got nothing I asked for, but everything I hoped for…
Almost despite myself, my unspoken prayers were answered…
I am, among men, most richly blessed!

 

Let us all be sincerely appreciative to Almighty God on this Thanksgiving Day – and every day – for the abundant bounty, benefits and blessings rendered regularly toward us.  OUR GRATITUDE ATTITUDE is not predicated on present circumstances, nor on our station in life, nor on what we have accumulated, nor on what we have achieved.  It is merely the heartfelt recognition that “every good and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from THE FATHER OF LIGHTS, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning.” (James 1:17)

Wherever you are in this life, whatever you are in this life, however you are in this life, please take advantage of this golden opportunity to praise and worship HIM.  In the wise words of the Apostle Paul, “In everything GIVE THANKS; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.” (I Thessalonians 5:18)

Sisters and brothers, be continually blessed, and please (above all else) MAKE SURE YOU ARE READY TO MEET OUR SOON COMING KING. Maranatha!

No comments:

Post a Comment