Tuesday, March 14, 2023

SELF-CONTROL = TONGUE CONTROL


SELF-CONTROL = TONGUE CONTROL

The sage, Solomon, penned the following wise saying about our tendency to occasionally over-use our tongues: “Whoever guards his mouth and tongue keeps his soul from troubles.” (Proverbs 21:23)  It’s true.  It’s true!  To be transparent, most of my ripples in life’s waters are traceable to my tongue.  And I’m confident that I have one or two tongue-kinfolk out there somewhere!?!

Indeed, Jesus declares that whatever emerges from the mouth is a direct reflection of the heart. (Luke 6:45)  Publius, a Greek philosopher, put it this way: “I have often regretted my speech, never my silence.”  Hmmm…think about it.

I read a short paragraph today with a tongue-in-cheek reference (pun intended) regarding our talking:

On a windswept hill in a country churchyard stands a drab, gray slate tombstone.  The quaint stone bears an epitaph not easily seen unless you stoop over and look closely. The faint etchings read:

Beneath this stone, a lump of clay, lies Arabella Young,

Who on the twenty-fourth of May began to hold her tongue.

Of course, I never intend to throw any stones at the ladies because we men do more than our fair share of tongue-wagging as well!  Relax, my friends, and have an enjoyable, peaceable, tongue-controlled day. 😊

Sisters and brothers, be continually blessed, and please (above all else) MAKE SURE YOU ARE READY TO MEET OUR SOON COMING KING. Maranatha!

No comments:

Post a Comment