Thursday, March 20, 2014

MERRY-GO-ROUND SYNDROME

MERRY-GO-ROUND SYNDROME

Let’s face it.  In life, one ought to be going somewhere.  One’s destination is an integral component of one’s destiny.  That’s one reason why I never cared much for merry-go-rounds.  They turn in wide circles; they move up and down; yet they never travel anywhere.  Their entry and exit points are virtually one and the same.

There is a second reason why merry-go-rounds are not my cup of tea.  Although going up is a blast (take-offs are always lots of fun), I loathe that weightless and sinking feeling at the crest of the downward descent.  It takes away my breath and sickens me.  Even now, thinking about it transports me to an unpleasant childhood flashback, which is my third reason for disliking merry-go-rounds.

At our annual community picnic, one of my classmates, Keith Guzzie, coaxed me into riding with him.  It really didn’t look like something I wanted to do.  That merry-go-round was tall and I was small; we were only in the 3rd grade and I had never ridden before.  To my detriment, I was totally transparent about my anxiety, and outwardly filled with trepidation as we sailed rapidly through the air.  Keith loved it; I hated it!  Worse yet, when time came to disembark, we were stuck at the top while the operator slowly released riders one-by-one below.  Keith took one glance at me, smirked mischievously, then started rocking back and forth, as hard as possible, laughing loudly and relishing my fear.

After what seemed like a lifetime, we arrived at the bottom.  With shaky sweaty palms upraised, I jumped from my seat and vowed never to ride that merry-go-round again.  It’s a vow I have happily kept.

It occurs to me that our lives are replete with potential for merry-go-round experiences.  It’s the circular and cyclical nature of the beast.  As Solomon wisely observed, “That which has been is what will be, that which is done is what will be don, and there is nothing new under the sun.” (Ecclesiastes 1:9, NKJV) 


Actually, some people thrive on this circular sameness, even when it means succumbing to serial failures that spring from our tendency to tread familiar pathways.  It’s the practical reason why Satan needs only three weapons in his arsenal of spiritual warfare.  Few are required since, for most of us, it is not the variety of sins that ensnares us, but the powerful pull of just one. (I John 2:16)  I call it the merry-go-round syndrome, i.e. our human tendency to become mired in a repetitious quagmire of personal issues.  Indeed, it is a familiar and habitual trap that captures and victimizes many.  I am eternally grateful that GOD eventually endowed me with sufficient wisdom and courage to dismount ‘the ride’ that was advertised as fun but felt more like folly and fear.  Upon exiting the merry-go-round of life, I made the same vow I had sent heavenward as an 8-year-old boy: “I won’t be back…no more!”  Thank God for the victory and freedom that resides in the right-ride-of-life, i.e. a personal relationship with our loving and living Lord.  Sisters and brothers, please don’t ever ride with the devil, and as the old gospel song suggests, “Don’t let the devil ride!”  You will be continually blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment