Wednesday, August 26, 2015

WHY I AM A CHRISTIAN (Part IV)

WHY I AM A CHRISTIAN (Part IV)

I AM A BELIEVER.  Today, I will share one more reason for my decision to become a Christian disciple.  Indeed, there are many.

Reason #4
I have personally witnessed the sovereign hand of God, moving in and around my life.

Each one of the redeemed has a powerful personal testimony, whether we know it or not, whether we tell it or not.  With your permission, I would like to share a portion of my own. 

Long before my birth, “prevenient grace” (John and Charles Wesley’s term) was orchestrating the conditions for my existence on the planet.  Godly parents (and grandparents) set the stage for an early encounter with Christ.  Thankfully, I was bathed in fervent prayer and surrounded by Christian virtues.  To wit, nine siblings and I never heard our parents uttering a single word of profanity, and never witnessed them smoking a single cigarette or imbibing a single glass of any alcoholic substance.  In a word, Jesus Christ was the spiritual head of our home and His Word was our constant companion.

I remember two modest plaques hanging on our dining room wall: “In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths” – and another, “There is none other name given among men whereby we must be saved.”  I suppose these scriptures were unofficial Bass family themes.  Our father was an esteemed man of God, a hard-working provider and an exceptional role model.  Our mother meticulously cared for her family and home – cradling us in loving nurture and covering us with daily prayer.  We were never permitted to leave for school without first bowing on our knees before Our Father and being anointed with holy oil.

Thanks to my parents, by the tender age of eight, I had more than sufficient knowledge of the gospel to recognize my personal need for the Savior.  By His grace, I accepted salvation and developed a lifelong relationship with our Lord.

At age fifteen, I was miraculously called into the ministry.  Although I had been saddled with a profound speech impediment, God healed me and empowered me to do something I never imagined I could, to speak boldly before congregations large and small.

On a personal level, I know Jesus Christ as The Great Physician.  I am a cancer survivor.  I am still here by the grace of God.  Beyond any shadow of doubt, our God is great, and greatly to be praised!

Jehovah Jireh has come to my financial rescue more times than I can recall.  I know Him to be “a very present help in trouble.” (Psalm 46:1)  What a mighty God we serve!

Even when I was a backslider, momentarily turning my back on God, His unconditional love sought me and brought me back into the family fold.  Oh, how He loves you and me!

And now, by the grace of God, I am what I am.  My accomplishments may be modest, but daily I sense His presence and His power; and, I am eternally grateful for an intimate connection with Jesus Christ.  There are no other alternatives for me; there is no other way that I choose to live.  From my heart, I joyously echo the words of the Apostle Peter, “Lord, to whom shall we go?  YOU have the words of eternal life.” (John 6:68)

Sisters and brothers, be continually blessed, and please (above all else) MAKE SURE YOU ARE READY TO MEET OUR SOON COMING KING. Maranatha!

No comments:

Post a Comment