Tuesday, April 2, 2019

BLESSED ARE THE PEACEMAKERS


BLESSED ARE THE PEACEMAKERS

Two brothers, Raul and Johan, who lived on adjoining farms in Germany and somehow fell into conflict.  It was their first serious rift in 35 years of farming.  Up to that point, they labored side-by-side, sharing machinery, and trading labor and goods without a single problem occurring.

However, one autumn, their long collaboration fell apart.  It began with a small misunderstanding which grew into a major difference.  Finally it exploded into an exchange of bitter words followed by weeks of silence between the two brothers.

One morning there was a knock at Raul’s door.  He opened it to find a man holding a carpenter’s toolbox. “I’m looking for work,” Angelis said.  “Perhaps you would have a few small jobs here that I could help with?  Could I help you in any way?”

“Yes,” answered Raul, extremely pleased to see Angelis the carpenter, “I do have a job for you.  Look across the creek at that farm.  That’s my neighbor’s farm; in fact, it belongs to my younger brother, Johan.  Last week there was a meadow between us and he took his bulldozer to the river levee and now there is a creek between us.  Well, he might have done this to spite me, but I’ll go him one better.  See that pile of lumber by the barn?  I want you to build a fence, an 8-foot fence, so I won’t need to see Johan’s place nor his face anymore!”

Angelis the carpenter said thoughtfully, “I think I understand the situation.  Show me the nails and the posthole digger and I’ll be able to do a job that really pleases you.”

Raul then left for the nearby town, so he helped the carpenter get the necessary materials ready and then he set off for the day.  The carpenter worked hard all that day measuring, sawing, nailing, and hammering. About sunset, when Raul returned, the carpenter had just completed his job.  The farmer’s eyes opened wide; his jaw dropped.  There was no fence there at all.

It was a bridge…a bridge stretching from one side of the creek to the other.  A fine piece of work it was, handrails and all, and the neighbor, his younger brother Johan, was coming across, his hand outstretched.  “You are quite a fine fellow to build this bridge after all I’ve said and done,” Johan smiled.  The two brothers stood at each end of the bridge, and then they met in the middle, taking each other’s hand.  They turned to see the carpenter hoist his toolbox on his shoulder.  “No wait,” they chimed in together.  Stay a few days.  We’ve a lot of other projects for you!”

“I’d love to stay on,” Angelis murmured quietly, “but I have so many more bridges to build.” 

Jesus Christ declared, “Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.” (Matthew 5:9)  My friend, are you a FENCE-BUILDER or a BRIDGE-BUILDER?

Sisters and brothers, be continually blessed, and please (above all else) MAKE SURE YOU ARE READY TO MEET OUR SOON COMING KING.  Maranatha!

No comments:

Post a Comment