Sunday, April 28, 2019

FAMILY FOREVER

FAMILY FOREVER

Last Thursday, I returned to Pennsylvania to be with my brother, Bishop J. Richard Bass, who was undergoing an open-heart surgical procedure.  Along with my brother’s wife and sons, six siblings were present; and, we are all grateful and indebted to God for a very favorable outcome.

Family is ABSOLUTELY importanT!  This profound truth reminds me of an emotional experience:

In 2013, I traveled to Boston, Massachusetts to support my good friend, Pastor Stephen Vaughan, who was eulogizing his beloved sister, Joanne Vaughan-Webster.  Since it was a funeral gathering, a powerful blend of emotions permeated the atmosphere.  But two things in particular captured my attention.  First of all, I was profoundly impressed by the positive impact Joanne’s life had on hundreds in attendance – from pastors to principals, school superintendents, teachers, co-workers, military personnel, church members and close friends.  Apparently, hers was a life well lived.

One thing impressed me even more.  It was the intangible expression of love, intimacy, sincerity and warmth that I discerned emanating so freely from this family.  I felt sure that it was entirely spontaneous and genuine, and I was personally blessed by it.  However, I am not naïve enough to believe that this family (or any other) could always avoid the difficulties that are prevalent in any group of people with diverse dispositions and mindsets.  Family distinctives can be both a challenge and a blessing.  Think about it.

During my 3-hour train ride back to New Haven, Connecticut, I reflected on the reality and meaning of family.  What is family?  What is this unique phenomenon that constitutes such a curious blend of life experiences?  For, simultaneously, family can be a habitation of happiness and a place of pain.  Unquestionably, it represents a lasting legacy of love, but it is can also be impacted by feelings of isolation, loneliness, or even rejection.  On the way home, I thought and thought and thought.  And then it occurred to me, like a flash of Rhema from Heaven: Family is a divinely appointed process of personal purification and maturation.

Much like The Word, which cleanses and sanctifies one’s attitudes and actions, family is also a divine agent of change in the life of every participant.  It may well be that God utilizes Family to shape us, to mature us, to transform us – as we embrace its ever-present opportunities for nurture, fellowship, friendship and its diametrically opposite potentials for struggle, hurt and division.  I know it might seem to be an odd statement to make, but perhaps GOD did not intend for family life to always be an experience of carefree ease.  Because struggle should not define or separate us; it should transform and unite us. 

The following day, I read a Facebook posting that my daughter, Kimberly Bass-Seaton, had written.  She gave a positive “shout-out” to her siblings, reminding them that nothing (even times of disagreement) could ever alter her feelings and commitment to unconditional love.  I was touched and transformed by Kim’s words.

Bottom-line: Family should (and must) be a cocoon of mutual acceptance and unconditional love.  As caterpillars develop into butterflies inside cocoons, so it is with families.  Family is our haven, our refuge, our security, our safety net, our shelter and our place of mission-critical development.  To be sure, there are times when we may get-on-each-others-nerves (so to speak), times when we could be tempted to surrender to doubt and despair, times when we might even question the worth and wisdom of ongoing relationships.  Yes, there are those times.  But true love consistently calls us back to the family bosom.  It is a heavenly haven for growing, nurturing and maturing our love.

WE ARE FAMILY FOREVER…in time and eternity.  So never ever give up.

Sisters and brothers, be continually blessed, and please (above all else) MAKE SURE YOU ARE READY TO MEET OUR SOON COMING KING. Maranatha!

No comments:

Post a Comment