Wednesday, October 14, 2020

OH, TO BE USED BY GOD!

OH, TO BE USED BY GOD!

 Many Christians long to be used by The Master in significant ways, without realizing that there is a high price we must pay to experience the depths of His presence and power, and to be dispatched ultimately into our divine purpose and destiny.  How could this be when Jesus Christ died for us?  Indeed, Christ did die for us at Calvary, vicariously absolving our burdensome debt of sin and shame.  However, He never offered an exemption card from personal loss or suffering.  Quite the contrary.  He declares, “If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and TAKE UP HIS CROSS DAILY, and follow me.” (Luke 9:23)  To illustrate this Kingdom principle, let us consider the LEGEND AND LEGACY OF BAMBOO.  

 Once upon a time, in the heart of an ancient Kingdom, there was a beautiful garden.  And there, in the cool of the day, the Master of the garden would walk.  Of all the plants in the garden, the most beautiful and beloved was the gracious and noble Bamboo.  Year after year, Bamboo grew and prospered, fully conscious of his Master’s love and care, but always modest and gentle within.  Oftentimes, when the wind blew in to revel in the gorgeous garden, Bamboo would dance and rejoice, tossing, swaying, leaping and bowing in complete abandon, which absolutely delighted his Master’s heart.

 One day, the Master drew near to contemplate his Bamboo with eyes of curious expectancy.  And Bamboo, in total adoration, bowed his head to the ground in loving salutation.

 The Master called out to him, “Bamboo, Bamboo, I would use you this day.”

 Bamboo flung his head to the sky in utter delight.  That day-of-days had come, the purpose for which he had been made, the reason he had been growing hour by hour, the moment in which he would realize his heart’s desire and fulfillment.

 He responded immediately, “Master, I’m ready.  Use me as you please.”

 “Bamboo,” the Master’s voice spoke gravely, “I will have to first cut you down!”

 Great fear and trembling shook Bamboo.  “Cut…me…down?  Me who you, Master, have made the most beautiful in all the Garden?  Cut me down?  Oh, not that…not that!  Use me for your joy, use me for your glory, oh Master, but please do not cut me down!”

 “Beloved Bamboo,” the Master’s voice grew sober and still, “If I do not cut you down, I cannot use you.”

 The garden grew deathly quiet.  The wind held his breath.  Bamboo slowly bowed his proud and glorious head and whispered, “Master, if you cannot use me other than to cut me down, then let it be so.  Do your will and cut.”

 “Bamboo, beloved Bamboo, I would also cut your leaves and branches.”

 “Master, kindly spare me.  Cut me down and lay my beauty in the dust; but would you also have to take my leaves and branches?”

 “Bamboo, if I do not cut the excess away, I cannot use you.”

 The sun hid his face.  A listening butterfly glided fearfully away.  Shivering in terrible expectancy, Bamboo whispered: “Master, cut away.”

 “Bamboo, Bamboo, we’re not quite finished yet.  I must also split you in two and cut out your heart, for if I cut not so, I cannot use you.”

 Bowing to the ground, Bamboo fully submitted.  “Master, my Master…then cut and split.”

 So the wise Master of the garden took Bamboo…and cut him down…and hacked off his branches…and stripped off his leaves…and split him in two…and cut out his heart.

 And lifting him gently, the Master carried Bamboo to where there was a spring of fresh sparkling water in the midst of dry, unirrigated fields.  Then, placing one end of the broken Bamboo in the cool spring and the other end into a water channel in the field, the Master gently laid down his beloved Bamboo.  The spring started singing a song of welcome, and the clear sparkling waters raced joyously down the channel of Bamboo’s torn body into waiting and dying fields.  Then the rice was planted and the days went by; the shoots grew and the harvest came.

 And on that day, Bamboo, once seeming so glorious in his stately beauty, was actually far more glorious in his brokenness and in his humility.  For in his first state, he only looked like life abundant; but in his brokenness, he became a channel of abundant life to his Master’s world.

 As we earnestly pray, seeking to be used by the Master, let us be ever mindful that we must and shall be sown as seeds for the spiritual harvest of others.  Nevertheless, in the end, we bring ultimate glory to our Creator, along with fulfillment and favor to ourselves.  Indeed, our service and sacrifice are the benediction and blessing of our lives!  Trust…

Sisters and brothers, be continually blessed, and please (above all else) MAKE SURE YOU ARE READY TO MEET OUR SOON COMING KING.  Maranatha!

No comments:

Post a Comment