Monday, April 1, 2013

VICTORY IN JESUS



VICTORY IN JESUS

Just yesterday, triumphant Christians celebrated Resurrection Sunday worldwide, with sounds of rejoicing rising to Heaven from 7 continents, 196 nations and 61 territories.  Just two days before, on Good Friday, we commemorated the sacrificial suffering and vicarious death of our Savior on the cross.  Golgotha, a destination-of-death, had been totally transformed into a location-of-life because it was there that Christ forgave us for “all trespasses.”  There Jesus Christ blotted out the legal ordinances “that were against us [and] contrary to us…nailing them to his cross.”  On that now sacred hillside in the environs of Jerusalem, he devastated all satanic “principalities and powers,” and “made a show [a spectacle] of them openly, triumphing over them in it.” (Colossians 2:13-15)

The scriptures inform us that in the hours between Friday’s bloody crucifixion and Sunday’s miraculous resurrection, Jesus Christ descended into the bowels of hell to minister salvation to souls that were ‘lost’ prior to his dispensation of grace and truth. (Ephesians 4:10)  Then, early Sunday morning, Jesus Christ rose from the dead, with a dynamic declaration of victory: “All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.” (Matthew 28:18)  In an efficacious encounter with Satan, the Conquering Christ snatched away the keys to death, hell and the grave.  And we still hear the victorious war cry of the King of Kings and Lord of Lords echoing throughout eternity: “O death, where is thy sting?  O grave, where is thy victory?”  (I Corinthians 15:55)

What are the spiritual implications?  What potentials and possibilities are actualized by the resurrection of Jesus Christ?

Kingdom Principle Number One: Our faith (that we are free and forgiven) is fully justified. (Romans 4:25)  When Jesus rose from the dead, he established the credibility of every promise previously made, including our freedom and absolution from the power and penalty of sin.  Therefore, Resurrection Day is an affirmation, confirmation and validation of The Word.

Kingdom Principle Number Two: We need no longer fear death because it has been defeated. (I Corinthians 15:3-8;55)  The separation of body and soul is indeed a blessing for every believer.  “Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord…that they may rest from their labors; and their works do follow them.” (Revelation 14:13)  In fact, “precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints.” (Psalm 116:15)  Never forget: Our last breath here becomes our first breath in eternity.

Kingdom Principle Number Three: We now have eternal life abiding within us. (I John 5:11-14)  Jesus Christ promised “My sheep know my voice…and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. (John 10:27-28)  Eternal life commences the moment we believe on the Son of the Living God.

Kingdom Principle Number Four: We have assurance of our future resurrection. (I Corinthians 6:14)  At the second coming of Jesus Christ, the dead shall be raised.  According to the Apostle Paul, “flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.  Behold, I shew you a mystery; we shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye…” (I Corinthians 15:50-52)  Our emphasis, therefore, should be on “things above.” (Colossians 3:1)  This constitutes a serious challenge for the contemporary church, which sometimes seems focused more so on here-and-now.

Kingdom Principle Number Five: We have the promise of a prepared and eternal home in Heaven.   “Let not your heart be troubled,” Jesus admonished, “ye believe in God, believe also in me.  In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you.  I go to prepare a place for you.  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.” (John 14:1-3)  The resurrection is our strongest guarantee of an eternal home in Heaven.

Every forgoing principle is certified by The Word and verified by The Resurrection.

Because HE lives, I can face tomorrow;
Because HE lives, all fear is gone;
Because I know HE holds the future,
And life is worth the living just
Because HE lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment