Wednesday, August 7, 2013

DO WE REALLY NEED THE CHURCH?



When people are questioned about their faith choices, it is increasingly common for people to respond by saying, “I’m not religious; I’m spiritual.”  While I am unsure about the specific meaning and intent of such a statement, I do have an opinion.  It could mean that 1) the individual is in total denial about the need to proactively pursue a relationship with God, or that 2) the individual is turned-off and disenchanted due to negative personal experiences in the institutional church.

It begs the question, “What is the function of the church…and do we really need it?”

A somewhat amusing story about one man’s reaction to the various people and circumstances that comprise the visible church goes something like this.  One Lord’s Day morning, William’s mother rushed into her son’s bedroom and announced happily, “William, it’s Sunday. Time to get up and head to church!  Get up!”  But from underneath the covers echoed a despondent plea: “I don’t want to go to church!”  “What do you mean?” the mother exclaimed.  “That’s silly!  Now get up and get dressed and go to church!”  No!” William shot back with fiery determination.  “I will give you two reasons.  I don’t like them…and they don’t like me!”  “Nonsense,” the exasperated woman insisted.  “I will give YOU two reasons to go to church.  First, you are 42 years old…and second, you are the PASTOR!”

Please allow me to ‘interpret the anecdotal tongues’ of this story.  Even those of us who are completely ensconced in church ministry have our moments…those times when we feel like surrendering to utter frustration, which is produced by our perceived failure to execute the plans and purposes of God’s Kingdom within that erratic environmental experience known as “the church.”  After all, the church is comprised of human beings…frail, flawed, failing, frustrating folks (ourselves included)…that GOD somehow employs and empowers to fulfill His mission in the earth.  Honestly, I have moments when all I can do is scratch my head and wonder aloud, “Dear Lord, how on earth do You deal with us?”

Then, I am given a gentle reminder by the Holy Spirit to search the scriptures, which comprise a constant source of enlightenment and encouragement.  And indisputably, the Word of God reveals crystal-clear mandates regarding the need and the benefit of frequenting the House of God.  I will share just a few.

Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.” (Hebrews 10:25)

“And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart, praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.” (Acts 2:46-47)

“The house of God…is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.” (I Timothy 3:15b)

But these scriptural admonishments, alone, might not provide sufficient solace and satisfaction, especially in the face of perceived political and organizational challenges that sometimes seem to override the blessing of assembling with God, while in the company of problematic people.  So, I find myself turning to individual biblical testimonies about the everlasting benefits and joys of connecting with God’s House.

“Lord, I have loved the habitation of thy house, and the place where thine honour dwelleth.” (Psalm 26:8)

“One thing have I desired of the Lord, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to enquire in his temple.” (Psalm 27:4)

“He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.” (Revelation 2:7)

Ultimately, I revisit my own life experiences, a practical source of encouragement.  For after all is said and done, my personal and powerful memories summon me to a serious reflection and realization on how the church has impacted my life (positively) over the span of six decades.  My testimony is this: I love God’s House…more so than any other place on the face of this earth.  It does not matter whether it is an ornate cathedral or a modest storefront, for within the sacred walls of the church I have gathered innumerable times for worship, fellowship, friendship, encouragement, instruction, guidance, comfort and support.  Therein, my spirit has been infused with love, wisdom, understanding, peace, balance and unspeakable joy.

I know the church is not a perfect institution.  Presently, we are the church militant.  We find ourselves continuously caught up in the throes of dangerous spiritual warfare.  But soon…very soon…we will become the church triumphant.  I can hardly wait to stand in Heaven’s Throne Room, in victorious joy, with all the saints of the ages, The Bride of Christ.   We will join with Our Bridegroom in an unimaginably sweet and sacred ceremony…to consummate our spiritual union…to celebrate The Marriage Supper of The Lamb…and to enter into an eternity of intimate communion with Him. 

The very thought of living forever in the presence of the Author and Finisher of our faith fascinates me.  It overwhelms my imagination, and it reminds me of an old song that inspires me day after day:

Oh, I want to see Him and look upon His face,
There to sing forever of His saving grace;
On the streets of Glory let me lift my voice,
Cares all past, Home at last, ever to rejoice!

AMEN!  AMEN!  AMEN! 

Sisters and brothers, be continually blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment