Wednesday, January 29, 2014

ENNUI

ENNUI

In the aftermath of especially peak life experiences, e.g. holidays, vacations, weddings, or even encounters with close personal friends, we sometimes find ourselves underwhelmed by a vague sense of ennui [pronounced ahn-WEE]. According to Dictionary.com, “ennui” is “a feeling of weariness and discontent resulting from satiety [sufficiency or enough] or a lack of interest.” Ennui is synonymous with boredom.

Here is an unusual question to reflect upon: ‘Should Christians ever become bored?’

At first glance, the answer to this question seems obvious since believers in Christ are entirely human, not divine. Why shouldn’t we experience that wide range of human conditions and emotions: happiness, sorrow, anger, fear, fulfillment, fatigue, boredom, and etcetera? 

However, there is another aspect to consider. Perhaps, the general feelings of discontent or boredom we sometimes have emerge from our inactivity in performing Kingdom assignments. Jesus declared, “I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.” (John 9:4) Undoubtedly, all of us operate within limited time frames, in which we must fully embody our intended purpose and destiny. In a word, every calling has a shelf life. It may well be that you and I have been divinely designed to feel a sense of ennui [minimum fulfillment and maximum unrest] when we do not function within our “high calling” or when we fail to stretch ourselves toward God-given potential. (Philippians 3:14) 

There is so much Kingdom work to do…much more than we can imagine.

It is a satanic deception to remain idle until someone ‘tells you’ what specific work you should be doing as a dedicated ambassador of Christ. Indeed, there are obvious clues we can glean from the manner in which Our King will eventually judge us. Read the following scripture passage and carefully consider:

Matthew 25:34-40
34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

So what are you waiting for? There are hundreds of seniors in convalescent homes who would delight in having a visit from little-old-you! Opportunities for Kingdom service abound: in prisons, juvenile detention centers, hospitals, hospices, community centers, social service agencies, our streets, our churches, etc.

The answer to the question posed earlier is an emphatic “NO.” Even though we are human and subject to human emotions, Christians should not feel ennui…at least not for very long. We can never afford to become self-absorbed since we have far too much service to execute for our King. Every believer is divinely commissioned to be a proactive and empowered witness. (Acts 1:8) Christ will return soon, so get busy. (II Corinthians 4:3) Sisters and brothers, be continually blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment