Wednesday, January 8, 2014

STANDING IN 'STEAD' OF SOMEONE



STANDING IN ‘STEAD’ OF SOMEONE

Pity is never a positive emotion; empathy is infinitely more practical and actionable.

It is so easy to stand on the periphery of someone else’s life-situation and morph quickly into judge, jury and verbal executioner.  The human condition is so incredibly complex that, quite candidly, it is patently absurd to assume that we will ever fully apprehend the faults, foibles, failures and fiascoes of others.  Indeed, it is impossible for us (non-divine entities) to do so.

So we will stop judging.  We will start loving.

Unconditional love simply means that your worldview does not have to precisely synch with mine in order for me to perceive the value that has been generously deposited and endowed by your Creator.

Dysfunctional people, if I may be permitted to term them so, are people who are actually crying out for more time, attention, care, concern, acceptance, and yes, love.  Their inward struggle produces powerful emotions (pain, anxiety, insecurity, fear) which dominates and motivates them to act in ostensibly absurd, conflicted and selfish ways.  Sometimes they offend us, even while their heart’s desire is to do otherwise.

What can we do about this?  On my end, I resolve to make stronger efforts to reach out, to understand, to communicate without reciprocal requirements or demands, to emotionally stand in the stead of others who are seriously hurting – many of whom have little awareness of the depth of their injuries and malfunctions.

Why am I motivated to do so?  There are at least two reasons.  First of all, others have understood, embraced and loved me through my life’s follies.  [Note: My errors will not be enumerated here because there is not enough room on this page!]  Secondly, Jesus Christ performed the ultimate act of redemptive love by literally standing in my place and experiencing (unconditionally) my humiliation, agony and death on Calvary’s cross.

Thank You, Jesus!

In honor of Him…I will seek to understand and love others, even when they seem to be closed off, hostile, angry, confused, inconsistent, or indifferent.  I choose to love.  Sisters and brothers, be continually blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment