Friday, January 17, 2014

OUR PRE-DEATHBED EVALUATION


OUR PRE-DEATHBED EVALUATION

In my earlier life, I used to fear death – quite a lot. This is no longer the case since I continue to make my “calling and election sure” in the grace of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. (II Peter 1:10) Admittedly however, I am my greatest critic when it comes to actualizing and analyzing the God-given purpose for which I was created and situated on the planet, and my perceived distance from the same.

Occasionally, I am motivated to contemplate my death, which quickly morphs into rigorous self-examination. But let me be perfectly clear. On such occasions, my thoughts seldom center on the views or expectations of others. Instead, I make every effort to objectively evaluate myself, i.e. my motives, my thoughts, my words, my decisions, my deeds and my accomplishments by comparing and contrasting myself with the immutable teachings of God’s Word. This works rather well for me.

Although this might seem to be a morbid thought, I suppose that the ultimate examination of life would be to think carefully about how you might ‘SEE’ your life from the vantage point of some terminal illness, while lying on your deathbed. After reading the reflective questions that follow, close your eyes for a few moments and carefully consider:

If this day and hour were the time of your departure, would you be prepared to peacefully meet your Maker?

Do your attitude and actions mirror and reflect Christ?

Are there unhealthy or broken relationships that you would seek to mend, if you had the chance?

Have you walked through life with boldness? That is, have you lived with genuine confidence, according to the expectations of God and yourself, or have you merely existed within the real or imaginary boundaries that others sought to superimpose on your life?

Are you deserving of your employment compensation, or do you put in just enough time and effort to get paid?

Has fear limited your faith…and your progress?

Have you brought joy and justice into the lives of others, or have you been the thorn in someone else's flesh?

Have you served your fellow man with consistency? Are there any infirmed, incarcerated, or indigent persons who are ‘better off’ today because of the investment of your time, talent and treasure?

Have you done your best with the gifts God endowed at birth and those you have developed along the way?

Have you typically been obedient to His Word, or have you lived as a maverick, insistent on having your way?

Have you maintained your Christ connection through frequent prayer, intimate worship, systematic Bible study, sacrificial fasting and faithful service as His ambassador to those who are lost?

Have you been consistently committed and involved in the community of faith, or have you been an apathetic participant or a strident critic of church leaders and members?

Have you walked in a loving covenant with your family, your spouse, your parents, your children, your siblings and other relatives?

Are you a life-long learner, or a know-it-all?

Have you focused more so on personal empire, or more on establishing God’s Kingdom?

Perhaps these questions will lead to others that are far more personal and specifically applicable to you. I hope so. While we do not live in fear, our existence should be both substantive and seriously considered. Before any of us can ever hear our Lord saying “Well done,” it would behoove us to be able to whisper those same words to ourselves, with full measures of awareness and integrity. Sisters and brothers, be continually blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment