Wednesday, November 13, 2013

WHAT MATTERS MOST



WHAT MATTERS MOST

In this age of frenzied and feverish multitasking, it is difficult for so many to linger long enough to discern those things which are of paramount importance.  Nevertheless, we must render due diligence to prioritizing our agendas and activities, always assigning the highest value to what matters most from God’s point-of-view.  Consider the thought-provoking story of “The King with Four Wives.”  The author is unknown.

Once upon a time there was a rich king who had four wives.  He loved his 4th wife the most; he adorned her with lavish robes while treating her to the finest and rarest delicacies.  He offered her nothing but the very best.

But he also loved his 3rd wife very much and took great pride in showing her off to neighboring kingdoms.  However, he feared that one day she would leave him for another.

No one ever doubted that the king loved his 2nd wife.  After all, she was his confidante; she was always kind, considerate and patient with him.  Whenever the king faced a problem, he would confide in her to help him navigate through the most difficult times.

However, the king's 1st wife was his most loyal partner.  Throughout his life, she made substantive contributions, helping him to sustain health, wealth and kingdom.  But as human nature typically goes, the king did not love his first wife – although she loved him deeply.  Ironically, he hardly took notice of her at all.

One day, the King fell gravely ill and realized his time on earth was short indeed.  He summoned his 4th wife and said, “I have loved you the most.  Always, I have endowed you with the finest clothing and showered you with superlative gifts and loving care.  Now that I’m dying, will you stay with me and keep me company?”

“No way!” shouted the 4th wife…and she walked away without another word.

Her answer cut the king deeply, like a sharp dagger penetrating his very heart.

So the sad and depressed king called for his 3rd wife, saying “I have loved you all my life.  Now that I’m dying, will you stay with me and keep me company during my final days?”

“No!” replied the 3rd wife harshly.  “Life goes on…and when you die, I will surely marry another!”

The king’s heart sank and descended into bitter cold.

When the 2nd wife arrived, the king pleaded with her.  “I have always turned to you for help and you have always been there for me.  When I die, can I depend on you to follow me and keep me company?”

“I'm sorry, I can’t help you out with this one,” replied the 2nd wife.  “The most I can do is to shed sympathetic tears and send you off with dignity to your grave.”

Her answer struck the king like a bolt of lightning and he felt totally devastated.

Then a familiar and loving voice called out sincerely to him.  “I will not only stay with you now, I will follow you wherever you go.”

The king looked up and there stood his 1st wife wearing the faintest of smiles.  Actually, she was terribly gaunt and thin, having suffered from malnutrition due to a profound lack of attention and care.  Greatly regretful and grieved, the King confessed, “I should have taken much better care of you while I had the chance!”

Now…it is terribly important to reveal the identities of the four wives of this dying king because they are intrinsically tied to our lives as well.  In actuality, they constitute a meaningful metaphor of our own life choices and experiences.

The 4th wife is our BODY.  No matter how much time and effort we lavish in making it last and look great, it will ultimately depart and decay upon our death.

The 3rd wife is OUR POSSESSIONS, STATUS AND WEALTH.  When we die, she will certainly go to others.

The 2nd wife is OUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS.  No matter how much they want to be there for us, the farthest they can travel is the perimeter of the grave.

The 1st wife is OUR SOUL, which is all too often neglected in the pursuit of wealth, power, pleasure and ego gratification.  However, THE Soul is the one thing – the only thing – that will remain and follow wherever we go.  So we must cultivate, correct, strengthen and cherish the soul.  It is our greatest gift and the singular gateway to what comes next.

That being the case, it is imperative to take a careful spiritual and emotional inventory.  Are you absolutely sure that you realize what matters most?  In the words of Jesus Christ, “For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?” (Matthew 16:26)  Think about it and choose wisely, sisters and brothers, so that you will be continually blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment